SPAIN: AT BREAKING POINT? A political and economic analysis for 2013 IBERIANS OF THE YEAR: The most influential people and groups of 2012


Iberosphere: Spain Expat

Embassies and consulates in Spain

British consulate

If you own a property in Spain it is likely that at some time or another you will have contact with your national consulate or embassy. In Spain, different countries have an embassy in Madrid and consulates in other Spanish cities. In your own country there will be a Spanish Embassy in the capital and Spanish consulates in different regions.

May 24th, 2012 | Posted in Expats, Spain Expat, Spain News | Read More »

From abroad or in Spain? Obtaining a foreigner’s identification number

Oficina Extranjeros Madrid

There are many frustrating aspects of bureaucracy in Spain, but none more so than when one official categorically tells you one thing and another states the opposite. Unfortunately, this isn’t as rare as you might think and the last example that’s been confusing us all concerns the foreigner’s identification number (NIE).

May 15th, 2012 | Posted in Expats, Spain Expat, Spain News | Read More »

What will I be when I grow up…in Spain?

If your jokes translate badly and you find you’re a bore in a foreign language, don’t worry, you’re not the first.

May 9th, 2012 | Posted in Iberoblog, Expats, Spain Expat | Read More »

Buying a home in Spain: Dealing with new property defects

Build defects in Spain

Sometimes new property is not all that we hoped for. There can be teething troubles as the new build settles in. These might just be to do with the finish or, more worryingly, they might on occasion be structural. Either way, the good news is that there are laws in Spain to protect the new property purchaser.

May 4th, 2012 | Posted in Expats, Spain Expat, Spain News | Read More »

Refurbishing your Spanish property

Casa en obras

‘Doing up’ your property can be a good alternative to selling. Rather than spending money on upsizing or downsizing, you put extra capital into making your existing premises more suitable. However, you should be aware that even minor adjustments to your property need permission from the Town Hall.

April 19th, 2012 | Posted in Expats, Spain Expat | Read More »

How to complain in Spain

Hojas de reclamaciones

Did you know that every business or retail premises in Spain must have a consumer complaints form? It’s called the ‘hoja de reclamaciones’ and is required by law. Even just asking for it can see the object of your complaint addressed as they realise that you mean business.

April 13th, 2012 | Posted in Expats, Spain Expat, Spain News | Read More »

Recently Commented

  • Tim: From my point of view, girls working in a brothel are not forced,...
  • tom scott: sorry, but after having known someone for only one evening you...
  • tom scott: really stupid article! of course there are other options! the fact...
  • Matt: I am English and my girlfriend is from Madrid. My girlfriend’s ex...
  • betty: I hope that these comments will be read by new afa press applicants....